You can now apply and pay online for permits you require before you begin the work of installing new and replacement gas and oil burning equipment. Permit numbers for residential work are issued 24 Hours a day - 7 Days a week, and are valid immediately upon payment.
The Office of the Fire Commissioner acts as the regulatory authority over all gas and oil burning equipment and installations in the province.
Under The Gas and Oil Burner Act, the Branch:
- Issues permits for all gas and oil burning equipment installations.
- Approves piping plans for all installations over 400,000 BTU.
- Inspects and approves gas and oil-fired equipment that is not certified for use by a recognized testing agency.
- Tests and licences the tradespeople who work with gas and oil.
- Conducts field inspections to help enforce safety standards.
- Investigates serious incidents involving fuel-burning equipment.